A Home Medicine Chest
Remember that you can treat many minor ailments, such as colds, coughs and indigestion by keeping a well-stocked medicine cabinet at home. We suggest you keep the following:
- Paracetamol and ibruprofen
- Mild laxatives
- Anti-diarrhoeal medicines
- Rehydration mixture
- Indigestion remedy - for example, antacids
- Travel sickness tablets
- Sunscreen - SPF15 or higher
- Sunburn treatment - for example, calamine
- Tweezers and sharp scissors
- A thermometer
- A selection of plasters, non-absorbent cotton wool, elastic bandages and dressings
Remember to keep your medicine chest in a secure, locked place. Always read the instructions and use the suggested dose and do not keep any medicines which are past their expiry date.
Consulting Your Local Pharmacist
Your local pharmacist will be able to give you free health advice at any time without an appointment.
Under the Minor Ailments Scheme, pharmacists can also prescribe some medication to certain patients. If you are eligible for free prescriptions, there will be no change for the prescriptions generated by the pharmacist.